Noa out; Helix wins
Without star tailback Elelyon Noa, who underwent season-ending foot surgery on Friday, No. 1 Helix rolled up 643 total yards. Kamryn Brown was 9-of-16 for 213 yards and 2 TDs. Delshawn Traylor rushed 12 times for 170 yards and 2 TDs. Christian Washington added 136 yards and 2 TDs on 10 carries. Keionte Scott had a 51-yard TD run, an interception and a 70-yard TD reception. Noa is No. 5 on the section career rushing list with 5,835 yards.
In the 57th rendition of the Holy Bowl between Cathedral Catholic and St. Augustine, Dons RB Zavien Watson turned in one of the rivalry’s most impressive performances. Watson carried 28 times for 280 yards and scored TDs on runs of 48, 1, 6 and 30 yards.
If the Dons are going to make noise in the playoffs, they’ll likely need more big games from Watson. Cathedral lost senior starting QB DJ Ralph with what was reported as a broken right (non-throwing arm) collarbone.
Sophomore Charlie Mirer took over for Ralph. Mirer is the son of former Notre Dame and NFL QB Rick Mirer.
– Orange Glen QB Ethan Villalobos tossed three TD passes, and RB Cael Patterson rushed for 246 yards and two TDs.
– Foothills Christian (8-0) remained undefeated as QB Tony Mroz was 15-of-18 passing for 252 yards.
– Castle Park sophomore WR Ashaun Duncan moved to RB, with Erik Hernandez injured, and rushed for 77 yards and two TDs as the Trojans improved to 8-0.
– Southwest’s Ray Flores was credited with eight tackles, three of which were behind the line of scrimmage.
– Mission Hills got 100 yards rushing and a score from Cameron Woolsey. Jason Boyle had a 19-yard TD run.
– Charlie Schmitz and Kristopher Sanchez had interceptions for La Costa Canyon while Hunter Binney had 8 tackles, 2 for losses. Brendan Quinn’s blocked punt set up Aiden Lippert’s 42-yard TD run. Joe Bowman had a 40-yard FG.
– Jeremiah Serrano of Hilltop rushed for 299 yards and scored twice. Serrano now has 1,193 yards on the ground as the Lancers moved to 7-1, their best start since a 10-1 campaign in 2013.
– Carlsbad QB Aiden Sayin was 14 of 20 for 273 yards and three TDs.
– Mater Dei Catholic QB Trevor Appelman was 12 of 18 for 185 yards and a TD. RB Aiden Calvert gained 91 yards while scoring on a 9-yard run.
– Otay Ranch’s Ethan Knight rushed for 146 yards, scoring twice. He added another 32 yards on three receptions.
– Serra’s Tim Zebroski completed 12-of-14 passes for 367 yards and 4 TDs. Broock Desta had 4 catches for 128 yards and a TD. Mark Genevich had 3 catches for 120 yards and a TD, plus returned a fumble for a score. The Q’s racked up 541 yards in offense in 29 plays.
– Mar Vista QB Mike Maeva was 24 of 29 for 380 yards and five TDs. WR Jo’Vahn Young caught 11 of those passes for 154 yards and three TDs while sophomore Dante Pacheco had four grabs for 142 yards and a TD.
– Sweetwater RB Nico Salazar gained 184 yards and scored twice, while Nathan Lopez starred on defense with 15 tackles, four for a loss, while forcing a pair of fumbles. Teammate Cesar Salazar had three sacks and eight tackles.
– Chance Johnson returned 2 kickoffs for TDs — 78 and 84 yards — for Steele Canyon, which allowed only 101 yards on defense. A week ago, Johnson had 2 punt returns for TDs and received a scholarship offer from San Jose State. Wesley Neely (9 rushes, 99 yards) and Chris Carter (4-76) both had 2 rushing TDs. Viliamu-Ah-You “Rugby” Morse posted 2 sacks. Valhalla’s Kegan Baker rushed 12 times for 82 yards and a TD.
– Grossmont’s Jaime Odom was 19-of-36 passing for 225 yards, including a 23-yard TD pass to Robert Tucker, who had 5 catches for 103 yards.
– Isiah Gardner rushed 38 times for 171 yards and 5 TDs as Monte Vista knocked off previously unbeaten Santana. Xavier Leyva added 127 yards on 11 attempts.
– Nathan Temple was 12-of-21 passing for 151 yards for Santana. Nick Valentine (blocked FG) and Dawud Saddler each recorded 11 tackles.
– Jahiem Allen-Pompey continued his assault on the record book with 9 receptions for 201 yards and 3 TDs for Mount Miguel. He now has 69 catches for 1,493 yards and 17 TDs. The section season record for receiving yards is 1,742 by Orange Glen’s Malachi Russell in 2016. J.D. Laverdiere was 18-of-27 passing for 348 yards and 4 TDs.
– Kole Klingerman had 2 INTs, including one returned for a TD for West Hills. Brendan Greene rushed only 3 times but gained 110 yards and recorded an INT and fumble recovery.
– Deniro Osuna was 20-of-29 passing for 208 yards and 3 TDs for Central. Angel Nava-Esparza rushed 6 times for 84 yards and a TD, had 11 tackles, a sack and a forced fumble. Jonathan Medina added 83 rushing yards and a TD.
– Brawley’s Blake Krigbaum rushed 6 times for 111 yards and 3 TDs, including a 65-yarder on the first play. It’s the fourth time this year Krigbaum has scored on his first carry. Freshman Ethan Gutierrez was 5-of-6 passing for 172 yards and 2 TDs to Joel Murillo (118 yards). Jayden Figueroa posted 11 tackles and a sack.
– Jose Devoux rushed 9 times for 111 yards and 3 TDs for Holtville, and Sebastian Aviles returned the opening kickoff 90 yards for a TD.
– Vista had 5 backs score TDs — David Flores, Brian Kelly, Desmond Taua, Nico Salazar and Travis Bennett. Bennett also threw for a TD. Taua had 9 carries for 115 yards and had 30 yards receiving. Flores had 13 carries for 92 yards. Grady Chancellor returned an interception 60 yards for a score.
– Mt. Carmel QB Carson Taumoepeau completed 10-of-24 passes for 238 yards with scoring strikes of 72 yards to Jayden Virgin and 17 yards to Jake Ventimiglia. Virgin caught 2 passes for 134 yards and had an interception on defense.
– San Marcos QB Emmett Brown threw a pair of TD passes to Gavin Cherveny and rushed for another.
– Marco Notarainni of Torrey Pines rushed 7 times for 50 yards and a score, caught a pass for 19 yards and had 14 tackles and a sack. RB Cael Helfrich rushed 20 times for 114 yards and a TD. Dorian had a 15-yard TD run.
– Oceanside RB Kavika Tua scored on a 16-yard run and a 56-yard punt return. QB Jakob Harris had TD passes of 40 yards to Rich Jaime, 40 yards to Xavier Molina and 10 yards to Jalen Ramsey. The Pirates scord on their first 7 possessions.
– Marques Mendez returned a kickoff 80 yards for a Rancho Buena Vista TD.
– Cash Jones had TD runs of 68 and 10 yards as Ramona won its first game of the season. Cameron Dingman had a 41-yard TD run and Cameron Cuevas returned a kickoff for a score.
– El Camino QB Kiah Reid had TD passes of 87 yards to Zion Jackson and 13 yards to Alexander Fetko.
– Scripps Ranch RB Nicholas Gardinera rushed 19 times for 148 yards and scored 2 TDs. But the Falcons are 8-0 on the strength of their defense. Scripps has allowed just 44 points, and two of the TDs came on interception returns.
– Madison’s Ke’ontae Springs rushed for 169 yards and 2 TDs, plus grabbed 3 passes for 32 yards. Herman Smith pulled in 3 catches for 109 yards and 2 TDs. Madison forced four turnovers.
– Patrick Henry sophomore Elijaih Lux rushed for 179 yards and 5 TDs, plus caught five passes for 76 yards.
– Wick Hauser was 9-of-11 passing for 157 yards and a TD, rushed 12 times for 98 yards and a TD and posted 14 tackles to lead El Capitan. Savigon Yokley caught 4 balls for 115 yards and added 2 INTs.
– Mission Bay’s Evan Aguon had 250 yards in total offense and accounted for 6 TDs.
– Mira Mesa’s Elijah Thomas carried 27 times for 248 yards, scoring 5 TDs. Freshman Makei Thompson gained 127 yards on 6 carries and scored twice.
– Coronado scored 2 TDs in the last 5 minutes to win. Devon Schulte carried 9 times for 195 yards and scored 2 TDs. Phillip Simpson had 3 sacks for the Islanders.
– Crawford freshman Hamadi Sharif gained 107 yards from scrimmage and scored a TD.
– In San Pasqual’s comeback 35-32 win over Valley Center, QB Trevor Jungman ran for two TDs and threw for two TDs, including a game-winning 11-yarder to Masato Thompson. The Eagles’ defense was led by linebackers Matt Hodgins with 14 tackles and Johnny Vega with 11 tackles and Thompson, who had nine tackles, one fumble caused, one fumble recovery and the interception to clinch the Eagles move into first place in Valley League with Escondido.