Pairings are in place for the eight-man football playoffs. Semifinals will be Saturday, matching top-seeded Foothills Christian (9-0) against No. 4 Ocean View Christian (6-2) at 7 p.m., with No. 2 San Diego Jewish (7-0) opposing No. 3 San Pasqual Academy (7-1) at 7:30 p.m. Sites are to be determined. The championship game will be 7 p.m. Nov. 9 at Mission Bay High.
Falcons school record
Scripps Ranch clinched its first league championship since 1994 by beating Patrick Henry to lock up the City League title. The Falcons (9-0, 3-0) set a school record for most wins in a season. A defense that has permitted just 51 points forced four turnovers, including two interceptions by Johnny McGoldrick, who returned one 42 yards for a TD. Nicholas Gardinera carried 21 times for 188 yards and scored 2 TDs. Luke Durkin completed 13-of-17 passes for 180 yards and 2 scores.
– After a 1-5 start, Eastlake beat Otay Ranch for a fourth straight win and the Metro Mesa League title.
– In his first varsity start, Steele Canyon junior Elia Kirisimasi was 11-of-20 passing for 168 yards and 2 TDs, plus he rushed for a score. On the first play, slotback Chris Carter tossed an 80-yard TD to Antoine Walker. Carter also had 64 rushing yards and a 37-yard TD, 44 receiving yards and a 60-yard TD on a punt return. Walker had 2 receptions for 90 yards and 2 TDs. Wesley Neely rushed 17 times for 122 yards and 2 TDs. Viliamu-ahyou Morse set a school record with his 11th sack.
– Keionte Scott caught 6 passes for 79 yards and 3 TDs to lead No. 1 Helix. Kamryn Brown was 10-of-17 passing for 171 yards and 2 TDs. Sophomore Christian Washington rushed 21 times for 183 yards and 3 TDs.
– Montgomery QB Alexander Dixie was 8-of-10 passing for 169 yards and two TDs while also rushing 13 times for 200 yards and 5 more scores. The Aztecs will play Castle Park on Friday with the Metro Pacific League title at stake.
– Ty Virgin had 15 carries for 87 yards and 2 TDs while little brother Jayden Virgin caught 3 passes for 61 yards and 2 TDs for Mt. Carmel. QB Carson Taumoepeau threw for 116 yards and 3 scores.
– Alex Guzman led the way as Chula Vista collected its first win of the season. Guzman set a school season receiving record with 57 after pulling in nine passes for 156 yards. The previous record was 53. QB Omar Perez passed for 215 yards and a pair of scores.
– Oceanside RB Kavika Tua ran his season total to 1,321 yards with 16 attempts for 254 yards and 3 TDs, including an 89-yarder. Jaylin Moncrief caught a pair of passes for 66 yards, including a 34-yard TD.
– Cael Helfrich had 20 carries for 105 yards for Torrey Pines.
– Lincoln’s dynamic pass-catching duo of Keyshawn Smith and Benjamin O’Brien struck again. Smith had 4 receptions for 151 yards and 2 TDs. O’Brien grabbed nine catches for 129 yards. Darius De Los Reyes rushed 11 times for 121 yards and 2 scores.
– Mission Hills scored 10 first-quarter points on a 4-yard Kobe Flores run and a Zeke Mata FG and made it stand up. Jaiden Letua had a key interception.
– El Camino’s Jacob Gathright had an interception and Elijah Valles recovered a fumble.
– Mira Mesa RB Elijah Thomas gained 124 yards on 24 carries and scored 2 TDs.
– San Marcos rolled up 465 yards total offense with QB Emmett Brown throwing for 277 yards and 3 TDs. He also rushed for 81 yards and 2 scores. Jalen Bainer caught 3 passes for 162 yards and 2 scores, one going for 69 yards.
– Orange Glen’s Cael Patterson was held to 47 yards on 24 carries, but caught a 4-yard slant for a TD with 7 seconds to play for a win over Santa Fe Christian. QB Ethan Villalobos was 9 of 16 for 244 yards and 4 TDs, 2 of those to DJ Harris, who had 7 catches for 239 yards and 3 scores. LB Julien Lesa had 15 tackles.
– Kian Hogan had 15 carries for 119 yards and a TD for Santa Fe Christian.
– Vista rushed for 328 yards behind David Flores (90), Brian Kelly (57) and Desmond Taua (71). Grady Chancellor and Jordan Zavala had interceptioins.
– Carlsbad QB Aidan Sayin threw TD passes to Cole Wright and Zach Chavez. DJ Young had a late interception to seal the victory.
– La Costa Canyon QB Marshall Eucker had 249 yards total offense, 198 passing, 51 rushing. Jayden Lucien had 5 catches for 87 yards and a TD.
– Cash Jones had 18 carries for 103 yards and a TD for Ramona. QB Jacob Nelson completed 11-of-16 passes for 142 yards and 2 scores and ran for 51 yards. Jeremiah Friend caught 3 passes for 53 yards and a TD, and had 2 interceptions, returning one for a TD.
– West Hills got TD passes from 3 players — QBs Gerardo Hernandez and Braden Oberg and slotback Brendan Greene. Kole Klingerman caught 2 of them, twin brother Kip Klingerman had 1, and Steven Cristini had the game-winner from Greene. Cristini also had an INT.
– Jahiem Allen-Pompey had 16 receptions for 160 yards and a TD for Mount Miguel. The 5-foot-7, 129-pound senior now has 85 catches for 1,653 yards and 18 TDs. He already owns the Grossmont Conference record in all three categories. The section record for receiving yards is 1,742 by Orange Glen’s Malachi Russell in 2016. J.D. Laverdiere was 27-of-44 passing for 255 yards. He now has 2,734 yards and 25 TDs. He also has 16 rushing TDs.
– Kegan Baker rushed 30 times for 154 yards and 3 TDs to lead Valhalla. Josh Meredith added 84 rushing yards and a TD and had an INT.
– Damarius Hyde rushed 16 times for 128 yards for El Cajon Valley.
– Deniro Osuna was 8-of-9 passing for 188 yards and 3 TDs for Central, plus he rushed for 2 TDs. Angel Nava-Esparza rushed for 63 yards and recorded 15 tackles. Fernando Morales caught 4 passes for 85 yards and 2 TDs. The Spartans (7-2, 4-0) play Brawley (7-2, 4-0) this week in the annual Bell Game for the Imperial Valley League championship.
– Brawley freshman Ethan Gutierrez was 7-of-9 passing for 146 yards and a TD and rushed for 50 yards and a TD. Blake Krigbaum rushed for 70 yards and 2 TDs.
– Jordan Reed was 12-of-17 passing for 174 yards and 4 TDs to lead Imperial. Brenten Adams caught 3 balls for 87 yards and 3 TDs. Jesus Padilla rushed 13 times for 121 yards and 2 TDs.
– St. Augustine QB Richard Colmenero III completed 11-of-17 passes for 298 yards and TDs of 11, 12, 52 and 95 yards. Jalil Tucker had TD catches of 52 and 95 yards.
– La Jolla defensive end Dirk Germon racked up 15 tackles, a sack and three tackles for losses. Luke Brunette had 4 catches for 67 yards and a TD, plus intercepted a pass.
– Clairemont’s Justin Rice had 10 tackles and recovered two fumbles. He also gained 107 yards on 14 carries and scored a TD. Ryan Christensen had 2 tackles for losses and a fumble recovery.
– Serra’s Tim Zebroski completed 13-of-20 passes for 252 yards and 3 TDs. Kyle Simpson had 3 catches for 72 yards and 2 scores, plus returned a kickoff 92 yards for a TD. Brevin Lingao returned an interception for a score.
– Justus McComb was 23-of-31 passing for 307 yards and 3 TDs for Granite Hills. His targets were James Johnson (9-84-1), Matt Keeley (4-117-1) and Jaylen Hall (4-80-1).